Monday, October 3, 2016

ELKMONT MIDDLE SCHOOL ARE COUNTY CHAMPIONS


Rowdy Red Devil fans filled the stands and enjoyed watching Elkmont upset the previously undefeated Ardmore Tigers in the Limestone County Middle School Championship game 16-6.


Elkmont's defense set the tone by forcing a turnover on downs in Ardmore's first possession. Elkmont scored on its first possession on a Nick Gibson run and took an 8-0 lead into halftime. 

Ardmore started the second half with an onside kick which led to Ardmore's only score of the day. 


On Elkmont's next possession, it answered immediately on an Isaiah Sutherland run. Elkmont led 16-6 at the end of the 3rd quarter. 

Neither team scored in the fourth, primarily because of Elkmont's clock management. 


Elkmont's defense was hard-hitting all day. Hunter Broadway, Josh Burrows, Paul Gooch, and Devin Plyler's names were frequently called by the game announcer, often for tackles made in the backfield. 

On the other side of the ball, the offensive line did a tremendous job of creating holes not only for speedsters Gibson and Sutherland but also for fullback Gooch who picked up much-needed yards up the middle. 


The Red Devils' last game is Tuesday, at home, against Highland Rim at 6:00 pm. Highland Rim won the Lincoln County, Tennessee, Championship last week.

ASSISTANT COACH'S CORNER
All the texts, calls, posts, and every other way I've heard from you all today has been wonderful! This picture is YOUR 2016 COUNTY CHAMPS! HOW BOUT THEM RED DEVILS!?!?!? I can't even begin to describe what today has felt like. I'm so proud of all these young men, and I love them like my own family. They worked so hard from worst last year, to first this year. I'm proud to be a part of the coaching staff for Elkmont middle school football. I'm thankful for the young ladies cheering, the awesome parents and grandparents that help so much, and the Elkmont community that came out to support us today. I promise you, we all noticed and loved having the big crowd! One of the best days of my life today, guys and gals. As I lay in my bed looking forward to some sleep, all I can think is how sweet it is. Go Big Red.
Zachary Lyman
 

No comments:

Post a Comment