Thursday, September 8, 2011

GREAT ARTICLE ABOUT OVERCOMING ADVERSITY

Two Elkmont Football Players Overcome Cancer

By: Chase Gallimore
Email: cgallimore@waaytv.com
Last Update: 9/07 11:08 pm
Set Text Size SmallSet Text Size MediumSet Text Size LargeSet Text Size X-Large
Print Story | Share
Bailey and Ellis standing on the sidelines
Bailey and Ellis standing on the sidelines
Elkmont, AL - Like most high school football players, Bronson Ellis likes nothing more than getting out on the field and knocking heads. “I just love the sport of football. I love contact. I love just everything about the game,” says Ellis.

Unlike most high school football players, number 56 for the Elkmont Red Devils is lucky to even be out on the field. Underneath his Jersey, the Senior guard hides a scar, from a surgery to remove cancer from his body. “I was always healthy my entire life. Anything can happen. I realize this now. Life throws things at ya. Anything can happen,” he says.

It's a new perspective Bronson shares with another teammate, who on the same week in April, received similar news. “They told me that I had Diffused Large B-cell Lymphoma and that I would probably be there 4-6 months,” says Rhett Bailey, another football player for Elkmont.

Their coach, Sean Holt says, “It's almost traumatic. It's a shock that you've got decide, where do we go from here and how do we help 'em and what can we do?”

After battling through surgeries and treatment both Rhett and Bronson say it’s on the football field with their teammates where they found an outlet and where life seemed to return to normal. “Come here, hang out with a bunch of great people. All my friends and stuff play football. Just help me through all my times,” says Ellis.

“It makes me feel like I'm out there playing still. Everyone acts like I'm out there in pads like they are,” adds Bailey.

Now that these teammates are now cancer free... Rhett does have plans to put on those pads next year for his Junior season. Bronson is already suiting up on Fridays. “Greatest feeling ever,” he says. “'Cause I was told I wouldn't be able to play 'til middle of September.”

And for all of the Red Devils, it's a lesson this family will never forget. “We're almost like family,” says Bailey. “I'd say we're family. They just always had my back and they always checked on me and everything.”

Coach Holt adds, “When they think running's too hard or it's too hot, or weight lifting's been too rough, I think they all have a better perspective of what's really hard and what's really tough.”

No comments:

Post a Comment